Inspecting an old circa 1844 10,000sf house all day today and tomorrow.
It was built by Jedediah Hatchkiss who was the map maker for Robert E Lee and “Stonewall” Jackson during the civil war. The parlor is where Jackson, Lee, and Hatchkiss reviewed maps and plotted some of their military tactics for the civil war. The original desk, furniture, and books are all still in place.
I sat in the very seat that Robert E Lee set in. – Bronson Anderson
One of the interesting things about setting up the inspection was that my client works in a top level position in Government. When he called, the number did not show up on the caller ID…it’s simply said “government”.
WOW – if those walls could talk! It seems as though they’ll soon mix voices from the past with whispers of the present.
These are speaking Tubes (below). The lever on the side opens the whistle part so you can talk to it. You can also blow into the tube and it will whistle on the other end in a different room or floor.
His old wash sink was still in the basement, which is being donated
This is the safe that he kept his maps in. He died in the 1890s, but the safe was an opened until the early 1930s. The safe had 475 maps including the battle of Antietam Battle of Gettysburg, and the Battle of New market. They were all donated to the library of Congress.
Carving sits atop the safe (above photo).
Our home inspection service is a visual inspection of the structural elements and systems which are accessible. This typically includes:
- Driveways, Sidewalks, Retaining Walls, Patios, Decks, Porches & Fences
- Exterior walls, brick, siding & trim
- Gutters & Downspouts
- Grading around the house
- Foundations, Slabs, Crawl Spaces, Floor joist, Beams, Framing & Supports
- Roof structures, Shingles, Skylights & Flashing
- Plumbing system, including Water Supply lines, Waste lines, Gas system & Water Heaters
- Heating & A/C systems
- The Electrical system
- Interior Walls, Celings, Windows, Doors, Floors, Stairs, Fireplaces, Ceiling Fans, Smoke Alarms
- The Laundry
- The Attic, Ventilation, Insulation, Trusses/Rafters, Roof Sheathing & Ceiling Joist
- The Garage, including door openers
- Bathrooms, including the Toilets, Sinks, Tubs, Showers & Exhaust Fans
- Kitchen, Cabinets, Stove, Dishwasher, Disposal, everything including “the Kitchen Sink”
We strongly encourage you to accompany the inspector so that you may ask questions and gain a better understanding of the systems in the home. If you have any questions, or are interested in any other services such as Radon Testing, please contact us so we may discuss your needs.